About this LibGuide
Many legal employers do not have Lexis Westlaw, or Bloomberg Law contracts at all. Others strictly limit the access to these expensive resources. Even attorneys with Lexis, Westlaw or Bloomberg Law passwords can save money by doing as much research as possible in free or low-cost sources. This LibGuide provides an overview of free and low-cost legal research online.
Articles on Deceptive Websites
Legal Search Engines
How to Use This Guide
Information on Search Engines
Help from our shelves
Have you ever found a resource and thought "can I use this?" Well, here are a few guidelines to see if the resource you found is a quality resource.
- Check the date.
- How current is it?
- Is it possible the law or fact changed since then?
- Check the author/corporation.
- What are the author's affiliations?
- Is s/he an expert in the area, or just someone who wrote one article on the subject?
- If it's a corporation, what is the corporation's interest in the subject?
- Check the publication itself.
- Was the source peer-reviewed?
- Is the source available in print from a major publisher or online through a trusted database?
- Check for relevancy.
- Does the source provide information relevant to your research?
- Does the source cite other sources?